The Somatic Attachment Training & Experiencing (SATe) program, as developed and taught by Dr. Diane Poole Heller, is a new and certified education program developed for psychologists, psychotherapists, social workers, medical professionals, and bodyworkers.
Participants will be trained in a groundbreaking, effective method that works therapeutically with attachment styles and disturbances as they unfold in adults. One of the most exciting aspects of this approach is the focus on the nervous system as a key player in healing attachment wounds and traumas. Dr. Heller has been deeply influenced by Bowlby’s theories on attachment and Dr. Peter Levine’s forty years of research and hands-on development of Somatic Experiencing®, which is based on the realisation that human beings have an innate ability to overcome the effects of trauma.
Benefits of the SATe Certification
- You develop more precise therapeutic skills to work with attachment styles.
- The skills can be integrated with your basic therapeutic method and practice.
- You will increase your understanding of the brain and the nervous system and how to work therapeutically to support discharge in the nervous system.
- You will become a certified SATe therapist.
- You will become part of a network and community of interest, which can have high value in developing your own practice.
- You will be listed on the website as a Somatic Attachment certified therapist.
Content & Topics
Adult relationships offer the most powerful opportunity to resolve old, insecure patterns based on adaptations that originally relate to lack of safety, trust, consistency or protection—to name just a few possible bonding deficits.
This workshop provides the keys to the mystery of healthy relationships by teaching you how to compassionately free yourself from the patterns of early attachment wounds that influence adult relationships. This important information is crucial for therapists who want to work with their clients’ potential for deeper, happier and more fulfilling relationships. During the education you will be trained in all 4 Attachment Styles – secure, avoidant, ambivalent and disorganised. Teaching will be based on theory, practice and study. Key questions participants will explore include:
- Where does the attachment originate from?
- How to identify those attachment styles?
- How to work therapeutically with somatic attachment?
None of us is simply defined by only one attachment style, and we usually contain elements from all four of them. It is a complex territory to work with attachment styles. It will be a goal during the Certification Program to give participants the confidence to identify attachment styles and to skill-fully reestablish secure attachment. This will be accomplished by constantly shifting between teaching theory, training in groups, individual work, and demonstrations. Additionally, you will also work with your own attachment styles and come to a place of resolution within yourself regarding old wounds.
The Certification program includes the following:
- 4 SATe Modules 1, 2, 3, 4, each four days. More detailed description provided below.
- 3 Skills Practice Days of Somatic Attachment methods
- 5 hours therapy by a Certified Therapist
- 5 hours supervision by a Certified Supervisor.
Students will be evaluated by Diane and the assistants based on:
- Level of understanding of theory and methods taught
- The student’s ability to integrate the method into his or her own practice.
SATe 1 – The Fundamental Theory – Finding Your Authentic Self
- Introduction to theory and practice about working somatically with the nervous system, and with implicit and explicit memory.
- Teaching the four attachment styles; identification of your own preferred attachment.
- Presentation of essential therapeutic focus points in the work with each attachment style.
SATe 2 – Creating Healthy Adult Relationships
- Understand your inner Orientation related to the various Attachment Styles and how these manifest in your Adult relationships; learn to use corrective Antidotes for disruptive relationship patterns, and incorporate specific transformative processes of healing.
- Identify your needs style: do you reject, deny, exaggerate or avoid your needs and why? Gain a deeper understanding of these dynamics, and knowledge about how these dynamics can be transformed and repaired.
- Discover the latest research in Neuroscience that enhances our capacity for deepening intimacy.
SATe 3 – The Neurobiology of Loving Relationships
- In exploring the “age and stage” development of the right hemisphere and prefrontal cortex in childhood, we will discover how the presence of a loving caregiver can stimulate certain hormones, which will help support our growing capacity for social engagement and pleasure in all of our relationships.
- In this training we will also bring deeper focus to the role of Neuroscience in restoring the brain’s natural attunement to Secure Attachment.
SATe 4 – From Wound to Wellness: Excavating Core Intactness, Power and Resiliency
- Uncouple two major psycho-biological instinctive drives—the need to attach and the need to survive threat—that become interrupted and interwoven to block the health and functioning in both systems.
- Revive embodied aliveness as high-arousal states causing dissociation are cleared and discharged.
- Create appropriate therapeutic empathy and avoid misuse of empathy when it triggers disintegration. Help clients complete the fight / flight or freeze responses in a way that creates lasting empowerment by discharging ANS over-activation and healing the power wound.
SATe 1/DARE1: taught by Judith Beermann Zeligson, 14th to 17th of March 2014
SATe 2: taught by Diane Poole Heller, 25th to 28th of April 2014
SATe 3: taught by Diane Poole Heller, 1st to 4th of June 2014
SATe 4: taught by Diane Poole Heller, 12th to 15th of September 2014
Dates for the training groups will be announced later.
Price: The total price for the whole training program is 31.500 DKK.
In addition to the total price for the training program you will have to add therapy and supervision in order to be certified. The whole training will be held in English and training sessions will be in English and Scandinavian.